Posted September 22, 2014on:
QUESTION: Looking for an autumn capsule wardrobe that would fit with my part time work and being a mum. At 53, in a style rut. Want to feel less frumpy and more like Ines de la Fressange. Nothing designer or top end.
ANSWER: Clothes should be something you look forward to wearing, so we’ve gathered a great selection that will help get you out of your ‘style rut’. Capsule wardrobe clothes work best when they can be mixed and matched, that way you get maximum use out of every purchase.
1. Hobbs trousers, £120: - A pair of tailored black trousers are an absolute must. Wear with a knitted sweater and ballet pumps for a cool weekend outfit, for work just pop on a silk blouse and a boucle jacket, and for evening chic, simply swap the flats for courts and add a statement necklace. Cost per wear will be practically zero!
2. Mango jacket £39.99:- A tailored jacket will smarten up any look from jeans at the weekend to a chic LBD for a cocktail event:-
3. Cos dress £79: – An elegant alternative to tailored trousers is the classic LBD…so very French! This fitted waist will accentuate your slimmest part, whilst the kick skirt will skim past your hips creating a beautiful silhouette. The little black dress can be worn for work with either flats or heels along with the jacket above or a waterfall cardigan. For an instant day-to-night transformation, add a pair of drop earring and grab a jewelled clutch bag:
4. Uniqlo trousers, £29: – Ines de la Fressange is a fabulous style icon and has collaborated with Uniqlo to create some really great pieces. The collection is available at the moment, and we’d especially recommend a pair of the camel coloured chinos as they combine the parisian classic style of Ines with the casual cool look of Ashwell. Complete the look with a breton stripe top and a pair of converse:
5. GAP t-shirt £27.95: - A breton stripe top tucked into an a-line skirt is a relaxed work-wear outfit and can also be worn casually over a pair of chinos or slim leg jeans on the weekend:
6. Converse trainers, £50: - Although Converse are available in every colour under the sun, start with a white pair as they are most versatile. Ideal for running around on the weekends, these sneakers also make for a really great travel shoe as they look fab all year round in any weather climate:
7. Zara jeans, £35.99: - When it comes to denim, the most flattering shade for you is dark and the best fit is slim straight leg. Wear with the breton top, or for ultimate Parisian style, or pair with jewel tone blouse to add a pop of colour to your wardrobe:
8. Anthropologie scarf, £58: – A scarf is a superb place to begin as it can completely transform an outfit whilst doubling up as a cardigan alternative. We chose a pattern which will look lovely with the chinos, stripe top and Converse. This scarf can also be teamed with the black trousers and blue shirt:
9. Zara boot, £89.99: – If you tend to wear skirts and dresses for casual occasions, black is best as a pair of black tights will complete the outfit. We love these Zara boots as they have a rock-and-roll slash sophisticated feel about them:
10. Zara biker, £59.99: - Add an edge to your wardrobe with a biker jacket! There are so many on the high-street that you really don’t need to go splash out on this one. Zara always come up on top when it comes to fierce elegance and this quilted biker looks far more expensive that it’s £60 price tag:
11. French Connection Coat £185:- For when the winter really kicks in, nothing beats a warm coat. You also mentioned you liked French Connection, so we think this appropriately names ‘Moscow Tweed Coat’ could be just the ticket. The best thing about it is that is fits in very nicely with the capsule wardrobe we’ve suggested:
12. J.Crew Earrings, £27: - Lastly we wanted to add a small pop of colour to the collection with a pair of earrings from J.Crew. One jewelled item is all your need to jazz-up a LBD or trousers and a blouse so keep it really simple and chic, the true Parisian way! We really hope this has given some fashion inspiration. Karen x
I’ve been noticing more and more capes and ponchos poping up on the high street all over London, restored from the early 2000’s when Victoria Beckham dressed her baby bumps in them. They also made a fab appearance on the Burberry runway with Cara Delevingne walking down in a poncho with her initials on it.But it’s street style as usual that caught my attention when I saw a fashionista wearing hers with a clashing print summer dress.
I snapped up mine in H&M for £29.99 and haven’t looked back since. The perfect season transition outerwear for any stylista working in a creative environment. SarahA x
1. Zara dress £25.99 and Zara leather boots £239 - Work your cape by paying homage to the sixties, mini skirts and monochrome clashing Peter Pan collars are all great with over the knee boots and a cape thrown on.
If you ever want to turn dull into dazzling just throw on a pair of glitzy drop earrings in jewelled tones. You simply cannot go wrong. Not just for those red-carpet moments, these pieces will sit just as perfectly with a statement jumper, a pair of jeans and a killer heel as they will with your favourite cocktail dress. Which way will you go haute or high? Natalie x
1. Anton Heunis £162.08
2. New Look £5.99
Posted September 15, 2014on:
QUESTION: I have puchased this dress as per your style advice for a wedding in Cardiff this Friday, I was wondering if you could recommend a jacket, jewellery (earrings and / or bracelet – both if you think this won’t over accessorise or just earrimgs if you think that will!), bag and shoes to go with this dress please? My budget is £40 and under.
ANSWER: The dress you’ve gone with is a gorgeous choice – navy is a classic all year round colour and the beading adds an elegant touch of glamour. We’ve chosen a selection of items that will compliment the dress wonderfully:
1. New Look bolero, £17.99: – A blazer or heavy tailored jacket will make this outfit quite wintery, so keep it fresh and light with a cape style bolero:
2. New Look sandals, £9: – Keeping within your budget, we’ve found a pair of gold metallic sandals which will bring out the gold detailing in the dress. Open toe is best with full length dresses, so don’t forget to paint your toe nails!
5. H&M bag, £14.99: - Trying to match the perfect navy for your clutch will be a tricky task and your outfit may end up looking a bit ‘matchy’. We’ve therefore selected a bright clutch which can also be worn tucked under the shoulder. The pop of colour will go really well with navy and we guarantee it will get you complements!
6. ASOS earrings, £2: – Keep your jewellery super simple with a delicate pair of drop earrings. No need to splash the bank with these as there are some really great bargains to be had:
7. River Island bracelet, £5: - One piece of jewellery will add just the right amount of sparkle as you already have embellishment on the dress. If you’d rather go for something more ‘statement’, why not emphasise the Grecian look of the dress with a leaf gold bracelet. Karen x
You’re going to be snuggling up in a lot of faux-fur pieces this season if the catwalks are anything to go by. From wild coloured brights, to patchwork patterns to more low key neutral shades. A faux-fur gilet is a fabulous throw-on-and-go piece. Perfect for layering. Styled over a jumper + jeans + boots or a floaty printed boho style dress or a slinky jersey number, your options are unlimited. A waist-cinching belt give great shape to these in particular the ones featured in this blog entry – it saves you from looking like you’ve literally thrown on a sheep. Which way will you go?
1. Isabel Marant sheepskin gilet £1624.97
2. Dorothy Perkins faux-fur gilet £29
We love a new season statement knit and this a/w statement does not necessarily mean loud and way out there. No, statement yarns this season are all about size – preferably oversized – and of course something in a chic pattern or bold 60’s inspired bright – perfect for colour blocking. Layer up with the texture of the season – faux-fur – and go from day-to-night with a quick change from biker boots to stiletto ankle boots, cross body bag to snappy little clutch. Natalie x
1. Tabitha Simmons boots £895.53, 2. DVF bag £155, 3. DKNY faux-fur gilet £250, 4. Iro jumper £385, 5. Paige Denim jeans £241, 6. Rag & Bone boots £515.34, 7. Mint Velvet bag £89, 8. McQ Alexander McQueen peacoat £770, 9. M&S jumper £28.