Posted August 27, 2015on:
It’s a perfect pairing that at first doesn’t look so perfect. A little twist of clever layering and you can take those summery dresses from sunshine and strappy sandal days to these current now-it’s-raining-now-it’s-not days. First off the footwear. Add brogues to the ever-expanding list of must-have autumn footwear styles. All this white does give a Great Gatsby style air to this outfit so when it comes to layering your look go for something completely out of the blue. Like this camouflage print lightweight denim jacket. (As a camo alternative you could style with one of those on-trend check shirts – if you do opt for a more oversized style to get that jacket effect.) Drape it over your shoulders worn open like all those street-style fashionistas. If this is completely impractical then simply wear it open. Like the rest of us. For a final touch add a ladylike quilt cross-body bag and paparazzi friendly sunnies. Natalie x
Fashion blending – that’s what happens when the same trend morphs from one season to the next. All those little denim dresses (from dungaree style to floaty and cute) have shaped up for a/w. You’ll still find that dungaree/pinafore effect if you want but think tailored, and longer in length. On the 70s front the denim festival free spirit has becomes a sleeker shirt dress version sculpting at the waist and falling well below the knee. Perfect for a tonal suede on leather look. Add a touch of 80’s bling, tailoring and trainers for a sports-luxe feel. Natalie x
QUESTION: I have a black tie evening wedding to attend and am looking for a dress – budget £100.
ANSWER: We love a wedding with a twist and an evening wedding means you can turn up the glam factor with sweeping gowns in gorgeous colours.
1. Coast, dress £95:– Coast are always great for providing a huge selection of occassion wear for any event and they haven’t disappointed her with this gorgeous dress for your black tie wedding event. The lower v-neck accommodates a larger bust and the lace detail shoulder draws the eye and creates balance. I particularly love the pleating detail detail that skims nicely over the tummy area and again draws the eye in for a cinched waist.
2. Violeta, dress now £39.99:- Grab this end of sale bargain from Mango, well within your budget and perfect for you. The fiery red is an ideal shade for an evening wedding and again the v-neck and draping does wonders to balance out your proportions. The jersey fabric will mean comfort all night and ease of wear.
3. Phase Eight, dress now £91:- Another red style maxi in a more scarlet shade, so perfect for wearing with red lipstick. The pleating and twist detail here do all the magic by creating a waist and drawing the eye in whilst concealing the tummy area. This jersey has a twist also in a more slinky feel, style with sandals and an embellished clutch.
4.Giles Deacon for Evans now £108:- Lastly try this jewel tone evening gown from the Giles Deacon for Evans range. Deacon has dressed many red carpet celebs such as SJP and Gwyneth Paltrow and often collaborates with high street brands (such as New Look). This has a flattering (higher waisted) fit-and-flare effect. Go for gold accessories with this awesome green shade. SarahA x
The 70s trend shows no sign of stopping. For autumn/winter the mood is folkloric with a heady mix of textures and prints. Make a start on this trend with a floaty pussy bow blouse in a paisley print. Layer with one of the season’s must-have faux-fur gilets. For a casual look a square cut biker style gilet plus a skinny jean tones down the whole 70’s folksy feel for more of a sleek urban style. By night go for a top-to-toe trend with a wide leg black trouser and cool platform heels. These trousers can be restyled with a fitted neutral coloured jumper and gold necklace for low-key style. Feathers add flounce and flair to gilets and will also make a great pairing with a party dress. Natalie x
CASUAL: 1. Zara top £39.99, 2. Zara gilet £49.99, 3. Warehouse jeans £45, 4. Monsoon bag £45, 5.Topshop shoes £62, EVENING: 6. Topshop gilet £95, 7. Oasis bag £25, 8. Karen Millen shoes £145, 9. DKNY trousers £252
If you’re feeling all summered out when it comes to your wardrobe, look to the latest batch of new season accessories for an instant fashion refresher. It doesn’t take much to breathe new life into an outfit. These pieces are an easy way to introduce a catwalk trend to your looks, but they are also timeless – perfect! The wide brimmed wool fedora is the hat of the season – preferably in a luscious shade. Zara, H&M, Topshop and ASOS have all got a great offering for you to choose from. Prints and more prints… what with the folky 70s feel and kooky 80s…you absolutely need a print in your fashion life. Leopard print is as timeless as a breton stripe. This day-to-night clutch will spice up even the most basic of outfits as well as adding an extra layer of catwalk style to a top-to-toe 70s look (think paisley print maxi and faux-fur gilet). Scarves! We love them…so easy to dress-up a mum-on-the-schoolrun jeans + flats + jacket combo. This camouflage scarf is fabulous with its quirky little twist of bright red. If you don’t already have a Chelsea boot – and really want one – now is your season. River Island has a lux- feel heeled leather pair. Perfect with a skinny jean or cute denim skirt. There you have it – 4 instant style fixes at your fingertips. Natalie x
Posted August 17, 2015on:
QUESTION: Hi. I’m going to Madrid in October. Hand luggage only! Museums in the day and dining out at night. I’m size 16.
ANSWER: Your Spanish adventure sounds wonderful, especially in October when Autumn is in full swing. The key to packing light is to choose a selection of clothes, shoes and accessories that all go with one another! That way you can mix-and-match your outfits each day depending on your schedule and the weather. With this in mind, we’ve found a selection of items we think you’ll love:
1. Mango dress, £22.99 : – for sightseeing days, a shirt dress will do just the trick! Team with a pair casual sneakers for maximum comfort. The belted waist accentuates your gorgeous frame, creating a flattering silhouette, whilst the v-neck elongates your upper half. If the weather is going to be touch and go, take a cardi that will easily pop In a fabric tote bag which weighs close to nothing and folds neatly into your carry-on luggage:
2. Monsoon jacket, NOW £17.70: – Choose a versatile cardigan that can also act as a jacket for evenings or chilly days. We love this monsoon cover-up as the print adds a stylish twist your outfit, yet the neutral colours will complement everything else you’re wearing:
3. Violeta jeans, £34.99: – Darker shades of denim are not only more flattering but are also more versatile for wearing day into evening. For sightseeing, pop on closed toe shoes that allow you to wear socks, and then for a change in the evening, roll up the ankle of the trousers to create a ‘capri’ style and slip on a pair of delicate loafers or ballet flats:
4. Banana Republic t-shirt, £9.99: – A couple of t-shirts in plain colours are a capsule wardrobe must for any trip. Neutral tones such as white, grey and navy are a real staple an can also be worn in the evening with blazer jacket or fine knit cardigan:
5. Jigsaw sneakers, £35: – A comfortable pair of shoes should be your number one purchase! We think this pair by Jigsaw are wonderful as the colour is easy to match and they make for a perfect plane shoe. Easy to pop off and back on during airport security and they’ll feel like slippers throughout the flight!
6. East bag, £20: – A light shoulder bag is another essential, preferably one you can fold into your carry-on luggage if you’re only allowed one bag. This colour is an all-year-round option and will compliment the shirt dress as well as the jeans/cardi combo outfit:
7. Ballet flats, £16: – In the evenings, you’ll want a smarter option of footwear, which is where ballet flats sneak in perfectly! Ballet shoes can be worn in every season, from floral summer dresses, to winter a-line dresses with a pair of black tights. When you find a comfortable style, purchase two!
8. Violeta top, NOW £17.49: – For a lovely evening outfit, opt for a no-crease no-fuss crepe blouse. You’ve mentioned yellow is one of your favourite colours to wear so we couldn’t help but recommend this gorgeous bright top which will team perfectly with the navy jeans and ballet flats mentioned above:
9. Coast earrings, £15: – Complete your evening outfit with a beautiful pair of drop earrings which will add instant glamour to any ensemble:
10. Warehouse scarf, £8: – Lastly it’s always worth packing a scarf, something light and soft – air conditioning on the plane is always unpleasant so you’ll be glad to have something to wrap around you. Karen x
Every wardrobe needs that ‘out the door in five minutes’ look. It helps beat the morning rush, get you to work on time and make that breakfast meeting feel like a style breeze in the park. With a little (and I really do mean a little) clever planning you can turn that look into 2 ‘out the door in five minutes’ looks: one for the morning and one for evening. You cannot go wrong with a chic tailored pencil skirt. There are a lot of simple fluid blouses that give stylish texture to your usual work look. These pieces make a difference to the usual sharply corporate mood of a shirt. Keep your separates simple and use accessories to personalise things a bit more – add a slick of colour with your shoes or tote. Slip a pair of timeless evening accessories into your day tote: strappy sandal + clutch + earrings for an effortless 2-in-1 wardrobe change. This clutch can also double up for a weekend day look. Push the boat out with your earrings. Studs are effortless and appropriate for a day in the office, but when it comes to dressing things up, this season it’s all about the drop style. Natalie x