There is nothing basic about a wardrobe basic. It forms the linch pin of many fabulous not-so-basic outfits like this simple but classic black roll neck jumper. It’s perfect layered under a faux-fur number by day, (or a patterned blanket coat), and it’s just the thing to show off a vibrant printed statement full-skirt for a special occasion or evening look. Use glitzy accessories and more faux-fur to jazz things up. If roll necks are not one of your must-have necklines, then go for the same jumper but with a neutral round neck. This season a roll neck jumper also doubles up as wardrobe trend piece – think swinging 60′s. Natalie x
CASUAL: 1. Hobbs jumper £65, 2. Joomi Lim earrings £75, 3. Topshop bag £45, 4. Rag & Bone jeans £210, 5. Zara coat £69.99, 6. Chloé shoes £640.
OCCASION: 7. Chloé bracelet £255, 8. DVF bag £305, 9. Coast scarf £35, 10. LK Bennett skirt £225, 11. Topshop shoes £46.
If by now you have not noticed, there has been a huge retro revival with designers taking inspiration from the heady 60′s. Well, why not! From Saint Laurent to Tophsop you can’t move for glittery Mary Janes and go-go boots. Perfect for the party season or upscaling a casual look. Skirts have swung two ways, from full and voluminous midi-lengths to cute and snappy A-lines in leg revealing mini lengths. Go for a luscious deep tone in velvet or have a bit of fun with these play-on-the-eye prints. Style with a fitted roll-neck jumper, heap on coloured faux-fur, add a lot of glitter .. and go-go. Natalie x
1. Miu Miu skirt £415
2. Topshop skirt £36.
QUESTION: Christmas party: €150. I need inspiration for an outfit. It can be a dress or top and trousers… preferably the latter! Any suggestions most welcome. I love the look of skinny jeans and longish top/short jacket.
ANSWER: We all love a good Christmas party, and looking glam is part of the fun. If you take a look at your fashion fingerprint you’ll see what items suit you and why, for you it’s all about creating balanced proportions.
1. Dorothy Perkins, Trousers £18:- These tapered fit trousers are great for creating a gorgeous silhouette and are perfect for dressier occasions. Style with blouses, wrap tops blazers and much more they are the perfect canvas for lots of great style combinations. Team with heels or sandals to really take these trousers to the party level.
2. Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Top £95:- A peplum top in this gorgeous shade will be great for balancing your proportions, and skimming over the tummy area. A less expensive piece of the Ralphn Lauren empire that you can wear again dressed down with jeans or with a skirt for work. Style with a statement necklace with gold or black gems.
3. East, Top £30:- Or maybe a peplum top in a more Christmasy shade to really get in the party mood.
4. Topshop, Jacket £49:- This jacket is a great piece of tailoring the creates a great shape and follows the line of the peplum top. You mentioned that your are quite fine for short jackets which are great, but I think a jacket like this will go further to balancing your shoulders to your hips.
5. Adrianna Papell, Dress £120.37:- I just adore the subtle lace detail on this dress and hope you will to! The fit-and-flare style is great for a feminine flare, especially when teamed with sandals. A dress like this is a wardrobe must because it works for many occasions and just requires a few of your gorgeous accessories to really make it sing.
Thanks again for getting in touch we hope we’ve answered your style question. Please let us know how you get on as we love receiving feedback. SarahA
Posted November 12, 2014on:
It’s all about the felt hat this season – floppy and wide brimmed, or structured and mannish like an oversized fedora. It’s also about leather leggings, and trousers. So really like most seasons it’s about a lot of things. Supermodel Rosie HW is looking breezy and chic in her low-key but luxe looking airport chic ensemble. I love this longline cardigan as a coat alternative, especially if you are travelling. You can wrap up in it like a comfy blanket. The high street has done a great take on the hats trend and you’ll find some gorgeous pieces at the likes of H&M, River Island and Tophop. These hats are a fabulous way to give an outfit an instant swishy update. Finally slip into your leathers…and you’ve got supermodel style on a budget. Natalie x
1. Reiss bag £110, 2. H&M dress £29.99, 3. New Look earrings £3.99, 4. River Island jeans £40, 5. H&M faux-fur jacket £34.99, 6. Dorothy Perkins top £28, 7. Gerard Darél silk top £170, 8. Topshop sandals £46, 9. Dorothy Perkins skirt £45.
Posted November 10, 2014on:
QUESTION: I’m going to the Sandhurst Commissioning Ball (military graduation) December this year and I need a dress, shoes and maybe a clutch. Dress code is black tie/long dress. If you can get me everything between £100-120 I’ll be happy, less than that and you’re my new best friend (Stingy is my middle name).
ANSWER: As soon as you said ball I just think of glitz, glamour and a gorgeous floor length dress. Your brief is a perfect outline to help me find some great items for your event. And with your balanced proportions there’s a lot on offer.
1. H&M, Dress £39.99:- This gorgeous dress that is easy on the wallet is definitely worth considering, slightly more sultry but definitely glamorous! The thigh high slit adds to the drama as does the chain halter neck. I especially love the cinched waist the creates a gorgeous silhouette. Style with embellished chandelier earrings. You can wear this again in the summer with a fab wedge, wide-brimmed hat and oversized sunglasses:
2. Coast dress now £76:- This dress ticks a few of your boxes with a minimalist cut and gorgeous draping across the front. The unique square neck draws the eye in whilst the drapes create a chic look. This dress is a gorgeous canvas for embellished jewellery and bold coloured accessories:
3. New Look, Clutch £15.99:- Grab this versatile clutch, slightly oversized with quilting and gold detail making it a perfect accompaniment to either dress. You’ll be reaching for this clutch for more evenings out to come:
4. Topshop, Sandals £65:- Another versatile addition to your outfit are these sandals. The perfect height for all night dancing whilst still looking uber chic. SarahAx