STYLE ADVICE: I am looking for an outfit for a wedding end of May. Would love something pink but stylish, with pieces I will wear again.
ANSWER: You can make some clever fashion purchases now that will multi-task their way through your wardrobes from wedding to chic weekend look. They key to getting that wedding outfit right is to play with differing shades of one colour and textures to make things look modern and stylish without being too match-matchy.
1. Damsel In a Dress dress £189: Lace immediately spells ‘occasion dressing’ and this figure-flattering shift does just that. There are a number of ways to style this piece so that it does not feel too old fashioned. You want to create an elegant mood with a modern spin. Silver, gold or nude sandals are the ideal pairing for this for a wedding. For a sleek evening dinner, style with a strappy black sandal and silver drippy earrings. Post-wedding, add a fabulous tan leather wedge and fitted denim jacket, large sunglasses and wide-brimmed hat for a cool weekend lunch:
2. Damsel In A Dress jacket £149: I’m sticking with pinks for this look but the key when opting for one colour is to play around with shades and textures. It breaks things up and keeps things from looking like a matchy-matchy uniform. This jacket will shape-up a jeans and t-shirt look for a casual occasion:
3.J. Crew sandals £258: J. Crew has some great summer sandals like these silvery metallic linen ones that will carry you through all summer events:
4. Mark T. Burke hat £210: Going for a deeper dusky pink, this headpiece adds just the right amount of dramatic flourish to this look:
5. Carvela bag now £29: A metallic shoulder bag adds he perfect finishing touch. This piece will also work perfectly with an LBD or to spruce up that jeans + jacket + t-shirt look:
Uptown, downtown that’s where we’re taking our skirts this season. From below the knee to midi-length (that’s just hitting the calf) summer is long and languid. A full skirt + longer length gives a great proportion balancing act even if you feel like your legs have been chopped in 3/4. Nothing that a pair of heels can’t solve. Take a full-bloom and dress it up or down. Obviously it’s still freezing out there so spring’s sprigs need a cosy cashmere in a slinky slim fit for a bit of evening glamour. Layer up with faux-fur and style with a stud detail accessory. Every rose needs it thorn after all. Feeling breezier as we edge our way towards spring (soon I promise) keep your florals flirty with a soft blush. Create a bit of city chic cred with one of our favourite wardrobe essentials: the denim jacket. Invest in a cool tan sandal or wedge. It will be your go-to shoe for the season. Natalie x
These tribal patterned sandals are going to give an instant lift to any look whether you want to dress up a pair of jeans and loose silky blouse or add even more oomph to a little black dress. Which way will you go?
1. Sophia Webster sandals £525.
2. Miss KG sandals £85.
QUESTION: My daughter is getting married in 6 weeks and I can’t find anything to wear. I fancy monochrome but don’t want to look like mutton dressed as lamb but also don’t want to look too frumpy. As to budget, not Primark and not Dior. I usually shop at M&S,House of Fraser, Debenhams, John Lewis (or local charity shops!!). Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
ANSWER: Thanks for getting in touch. Your daughter’s wedding is a milestone event to mark with a fabulous outfit and great memories. We hope to get you looking wonderful and feeling comfortable for the whole occasion. If you take a look at your fashion fingerprint you’ll see what items suit you and why. For you it’s all about creating some balanced proportions, and with that in mind here are some items we hope you’ll love.
1. Dress, M&S £75:- Your monochrome theme is a great one and can always be adjusted to suit you. You can either colour block your separates or g for a monochrome print. Black might be an unconventional choice for a wedding but the right accessories will have you looking chic and stylish. This fit-and-fare dress from M&S cinches in your waist and has a gorgeous lace detail on the skirt as well as a satin waist tie:
2. Dress, Phase Eight £140:- Just in case black is too dark navy is the perfect go to shade. With on trend floral prints, it’s occasion perfect, and not too far from the monochrome theme. And not forgetting the fit-and-flare shape and waist tie detail that will balance your proportions:
3. Jacket, Fenn Wright Manson £149:- Whichever dress you go for this blazer answers both calls. The tailored fit is perfect for creating the perfect silhouette, and the shade is a versatile addition to your wardrobe. You’ll get plenty of wear out of this blazer for future events and functions:
4. Monsoon hat 29:- Add a touch of colour to your outfit with this fuchsia fascinator. It will go great with either the black or navy printed dress. Its the perfect accessory to add something unique and stylish to your outfit:
5. Dune shoes £69:- Comfort and style is essential for a long wedding and these peep toes are just that. The gorgeous suede finish and kitten heel feature won’t have you coming off the dance floor too early and are another versatile wardrobe item:
6. Monsoon shoes £55:- Or if you go for the navy dress these sparkly beauties will work perfectly and will be a great addition to your outfit. and just like before they’re not too high and will see you through the event. SarahA x