Paddington Bear has really turned red carpet chic on its head and heel. At the premier for the hotly anticipated movie of the world’s all time favourite bear, Julie Walters sported the requisite glitzy dress complete with an iconic blue duffle coat. “The invitation said dress code: Paddington Bear chic,” she told GMTV. What could be more stylish than Paddington Bear chic?! Which got me thinking about the cool duffle coats on the high street and designer end too. Burberry has, as usual, got this look polished down to a marmalade high tea with a gorgeous navy blue duffle coat. For a literal take, this Hobbs coat is spot on and yes why not throw it over a long beaded evening gown! Give a glitzy evening-by-day twist to the whole mood with this gorgeous metallic duffle coat from Topshop. I’ve thrown in a fluo sheepskin bag as an extra little nod to our fury friend. Natalie x
QUESTION: Budget up to £200 . Looking for suggestions for a full length evening dress, or top and full length evening skirt in an outfit that will accommodate my height and conceal my shoulders.
ANSWER: A tall frame gives you a good pick of full length dresses and skirts on the high-street as you won’t need to alter them! For you it’s all about softening your shoulders and evening out the proportions between your upper and lower halves. With this in mind, we’ve picked a selection that we think you’ll love:
1. Adrianna Papell dress, £132.51: – As you mentioned you like to conceal your shoulders, we’re starting with a wonderful indigo dress with lace around the neckline. This detailing paired with a short sleeve gives you just the right amount of coverage. Full length outfits look best with a pair of heels, so we’d suggest a closed toe court shoe in either nude or metallic:
2. Monsoon Dress, £165: – A fitted waist is ideal to give you a really lovely silhouette and an embellished waist band adds a fabulously elegant touch of glamour. In keeping with the covered shoulders from the previous dress, this dress offers a bat wing style sleeve which is flattering on everyone! There is an air of grecian goddess about this look, so complete your outfit with a beautiful gold statement necklace or a pair of drop earrings:
3. Long Tall Sally skirt, £55: – Long Tall Sally specialise in taller clothes, so we have opted for a black maxi skirt with a gold thread, a really chic, timeless option. Although a straight skirt, the pleats give plenty of movement when you walk, plus the crinkle fabric travels well and definitely won’t need ironing! Let your skirt do all the talking by keeping all accessories simple, a black heel and matching clutch will do just the trick:
4. Wallis top, now £28: - Lastly a top to go with your gorgeous new skirt! We mentioned keeping it simple, so how about a plain black fluid blouse with a jewelled neckline? We especially like this top as it’s really versatile and can easily be worn with a pair of tailored trousers for a sophisticated weekend outfit:
5. Monsoon jacket, £69: – As we’ve kept under budget, we couldn’t help but sneak a jacket into the mix! The seasons ultimate trend is faux-fur, so complement any of the suggested looks with a head turning little black coverup, a really stylish alternative to a shawl or bolero. Karen x
There is nothing basic about a wardrobe basic. It forms the linch pin of many fabulous not-so-basic outfits like this simple but classic black roll neck jumper. It’s perfect layered under a faux-fur number by day, (or a patterned blanket coat), and it’s just the thing to show off a vibrant printed statement full-skirt for a special occasion or evening look. Use glitzy accessories and more faux-fur to jazz things up. If roll necks are not one of your must-have necklines, then go for the same jumper but with a neutral round neck. This season a roll neck jumper also doubles up as wardrobe trend piece – think swinging 60’s. Natalie x
CASUAL: 1. Hobbs jumper £65, 2. Joomi Lim earrings £75, 3. Topshop bag £45, 4. Rag & Bone jeans £210, 5. Zara coat £69.99, 6. Chloé shoes £640.
OCCASION: 7. Chloé bracelet £255, 8. DVF bag £305, 9. Coast scarf £35, 10. LK Bennett skirt £225, 11. Topshop shoes £46.
If by now you have not noticed, there has been a huge retro revival with designers taking inspiration from the heady 60’s. Well, why not! From Saint Laurent to Tophsop you can’t move for glittery Mary Janes and go-go boots. Perfect for the party season or upscaling a casual look. Skirts have swung two ways, from full and voluminous midi-lengths to cute and snappy A-lines in leg revealing mini lengths. Go for a luscious deep tone in velvet or have a bit of fun with these play-on-the-eye prints. Style with a fitted roll-neck jumper, heap on coloured faux-fur, add a lot of glitter .. and go-go. Natalie x
1. Miu Miu skirt £415
2. Topshop skirt £36.
QUESTION: Christmas party: €150. I need inspiration for an outfit. It can be a dress or top and trousers… preferably the latter! Any suggestions most welcome. I love the look of skinny jeans and longish top/short jacket.
ANSWER: We all love a good Christmas party, and looking glam is part of the fun. If you take a look at your fashion fingerprint you’ll see what items suit you and why, for you it’s all about creating balanced proportions.
1. Dorothy Perkins, Trousers £18:- These tapered fit trousers are great for creating a gorgeous silhouette and are perfect for dressier occasions. Style with blouses, wrap tops blazers and much more they are the perfect canvas for lots of great style combinations. Team with heels or sandals to really take these trousers to the party level.
2. Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Top £95:- A peplum top in this gorgeous shade will be great for balancing your proportions, and skimming over the tummy area. A less expensive piece of the Ralphn Lauren empire that you can wear again dressed down with jeans or with a skirt for work. Style with a statement necklace with gold or black gems.
3. East, Top £30:- Or maybe a peplum top in a more Christmasy shade to really get in the party mood.
4. Topshop, Jacket £49:- This jacket is a great piece of tailoring the creates a great shape and follows the line of the peplum top. You mentioned that your are quite fine for short jackets which are great, but I think a jacket like this will go further to balancing your shoulders to your hips.
5. Adrianna Papell, Dress £120.37:- I just adore the subtle lace detail on this dress and hope you will to! The fit-and-flare style is great for a feminine flare, especially when teamed with sandals. A dress like this is a wardrobe must because it works for many occasions and just requires a few of your gorgeous accessories to really make it sing.
Thanks again for getting in touch we hope we’ve answered your style question. Please let us know how you get on as we love receiving feedback. SarahA
Posted November 12, 2014on:
It’s all about the felt hat this season – floppy and wide brimmed, or structured and mannish like an oversized fedora. It’s also about leather leggings, and trousers. So really like most seasons it’s about a lot of things. Supermodel Rosie HW is looking breezy and chic in her low-key but luxe looking airport chic ensemble. I love this longline cardigan as a coat alternative, especially if you are travelling. You can wrap up in it like a comfy blanket. The high street has done a great take on the hats trend and you’ll find some gorgeous pieces at the likes of H&M, River Island and Tophop. These hats are a fabulous way to give an outfit an instant swishy update. Finally slip into your leathers…and you’ve got supermodel style on a budget. Natalie x