Archive for March 2013
With spring just around the corner, I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate a bit of color into my wardrobe. As I was perusing Goop.com, Gwen’s “Prints and Pattern” look caught my eye. It’s fun, office-appropriate, comfortable and the long sleeves add the perfect amount of warmth on a chilly day. I hit Dressipi to try to recreate her look and found some great budget friendly pieces as well as a few that I’ll be adding to my Wishlist (hello beautiful McQueen skirt!)
This H+M top is a great budget-friendly alternative to Gwen’s Alexander Wang tee. This piece would also look great with your favorite pair of dark wash jeans and a simple stiletto!
This gorgeous McQueen skirt might be worth breaking open the piggy bank for. The pattern is both quirky and elegant and can easily work in all seasons.
These Surface To Air boots are a more affordable version of Gwen’s Acne boots. I love the Western motif and two-toned heel.
How great is this Zara bag!? The braided pattern adds a bit of texture to the look and the size is perfect for fitting all your essentials.
This adorable Monsoon necklace adds the perfect splash of color to any spring outfit. And it’s only £19!
Finish off your look with this Wallis bracelet. Now if only I could add Gwen’s killer legs to my Wishlist!
I was never one for studs. But show me a wild hot pink and you’ve got me interested already. The same can be said for trainers. I was never one for a pair of trainers. But then I was walking past Nike Town on Oxford street and stopped dead in my high heeled tracks when I saw these neon pink Nike Flyknit athletics trainers. And I changed my mind. They would make a fabulously chic alternative to the tried and tested ballerinas for the summer. Perfect with a little black dress, or a pair of my favourite Zara black leggings and longline t-shirt or even in a sharply tailored tuxedo style jacket with slim fit cropped trousers.
But this is clearly so not a fashion shoe. And as much as I would have love to have broken out of my I’m-not-really-a-trainers-type-of-girl fashion zone this was not the way to do it. I went to Nike Town and tried them on. They are as I said professional running trainers that just happen to be in one of the colours of the season. The look beautifully sleek and chic from the side on in this picture. But on me they looked like two massive blocks of neon pink at the end of my feet. Not really the streamlined casual shoe fantasy I had created in mind, (even though they are as light as candy floss). So when this happens. Fashion trend or not, it’s good to simply step away from the shoe. And. Go for the clutch instead.
Namely this gorgeous hot pink Michael Michael Kors pyramid stud clutch which is on its way to me via New York. As mentioned I completely skipped the stud trend when it started to hit our high street last summer. But on this accessory it has its own timeless appeal. The pink is a little less neon and a lot more hot. Here are some pieces on Dressipi that you might like: Nataliex
Posted March 25, 2013on:
QUESTIONS: I would like some advice on how to be more stylish and what basic clothes do I need to have to mix and match?
ANSWERS: Being ‘stylish’ is all about keeping it simple. Build a capsule wardrobe comprising of a small selection of great pieces and then throw in the odd ‘trend piece’ that can add an extra something to your look- accessories are usually great for this. If you take a look at your Dressipi Fashion Fingerprint you will see what styles suit you and why. For you it is all about creating figure-flattering definition, so with that in mind, here are some ideas we hope you will love:
1. LK Bennett dress, £175: – A great dress can be just what you need to look and feel stylish, and picking one with versatility is a must. A shift dress is your go-to style as it creates gorgeous curves and is a great style for any occasion from work, to evening, to a wedding. This one from LK Bennett will keep your shape neat and clean looking and always flatter your proportions.
2. L.K. Bennett print dress, £145: Another dress shape that would look amazing on you is a fit and flare style, which will sculpt your top half and define your waistline.
3. Mango blouse, £29.99: – A blouse is forever chic- morning, noon, and night. This one from Mango has soft volume which will glide over and flatter your shape, and is great for a weekend lunch with the ladies, or under a sharp blazer for perfect power-dressing.
4. Jaeger, blouse, £125: A timeless print could also add some interest to your stylish ensemble, like the polka dot on this chic blouse from Jaeger.
5. Hobbs, jeans, £42: – Everybody needs their own pair of ‘Perfect Denim’, no matter what shape, size, or age they are. Yours comes in the form of a gentle flare or bootcut which will really pencil in some curves. The great thing about a pair of jeans is that they go with almost anything so are a great mix and match piece, and can be dressed both down in the day and up for the evening. Dark denim is a go-with-anything shade.
6. Linea blazer, £95: – A tailored jacket is a MUST for any woman’s wardrobe, as they are literally life savers. You can wear them over dresses, or with jeans and a blouse, or teamed with a gorgeous pair of tailored trousers…the list is endless. This one from Linea sculpts your shape and has waist enhancing detail.
7. COS cardi, £79: – A cardigan is a great layering piece and a perfect mix and match item. You can throw them over any look and it will instantly look stylish yet cosy. A belted style works well with your figure and is great for office or casual looks.
8. Zara, trench, £79.99: – A good coat is worth investing in and can complete a stylish look like the one you are after. Keeping the focus on your waistline, the best style for you is something like a trench, which is not only ultra chic and timeless, but creates wonderful curves with the belted waist too.
Although this all looks rather colourless, there is nothing stopping you from choosing some of the pieces in your favourite colours. However by keeping your basics/capsule wardrobe neutral, you are able to mix and match easily and have a great base to build on. A good way to add colour to your outfits is by including a statement shoe or bright coloured bag; a playful printed scarf is a lovely addition to an outfit too. Rea x
In today’s Perfect For You emails, we’ve selected some of the season’s best skirts to suit your shape and style. It’s a season of contrasts from those curve-boosting pencil skirts that will put a wiggle in your walk to proportion balancing A-lines. Even the most basic of skirts will take you from work to weekend. In fact more often than not it’s a chic alternative to jeans when it comes to weekend lunches or afternoons out with friends shopping. Here we’ve taken one skirt and styled it up any which way you like it. Take your pic of top and and simply add one of these gorgeous pairs of shoes. Natalie x
Orange high-waisted pencil skirt By Malene Birger, green peplum blouse Jaeger, snake print sandals LK Bennett, grey jumper with embellished detail Milly, black leather courts Salvatore Ferragamo, blue print t-shirt Topshop, wooden t-bar sandals Zara, blush top COS, embellished flat sandals River Island
Posted March 19, 2013on:
I got a call one evening out of the blue (long story) to ask if I could perhaps advise young actress Rose Leslie (formerly of Downton Abbey) what she should wear for her red carpet premier in LA of the massive cult series Game of Thrones. It was a no-brainer and the answer was of course “yes”. I pinged Tara so that we could turn this into a Dressipi double act and after meeting the utterly lovely Rose set about finding her the perfect show-stopping-with-style dress. Thinking Fashion Fingerprint, with her fabulous flame red hair and marble-like pale skin it was all about the colour green. Rose by the way plays Ygritte in the series. A week ago on Monday afternoon, Dressipi HQ turned into a mini-fashion-cupboard.
“It feels like Christmas!” said Rose as we all oohed and ahhed over the gorgeous Christian Louboutin heels. Tara and I whisked dress after dress after dress (and one gorgeous deep purple Issa jumpsuit) on to Rose. But it was the floor sweeping deep green Issa dress, in quite a modern sculptural style that took our breath away. I made one quick call to my friend designer Daniella Hellayel Issa who promptly arranged to have the dress fitted to perfection by her wonderful team to best show off Rose’s enviably waspy waist and willowy frame. With a dress in a colour that speaks volumes, it’s clever to pick strong accessories to continue with that modern feel but still keep things sleek. So this heavily embellished gold Christian Louboutin clutch bag was the ideal adornment. It’s almost like carrying a Fabergé egg it feels so luscious!
And now for the shoes. How do you chose between one pair of lust-have Louboutins and another? You have to focus. Really hard! These Louboutin t-bar heels in rose (how apt) gold completed the look to utter perfection.
We were both very excited to see the pictures that came through on the BBC and the web this afternoon. I also received a lovely email from Rose who said: “We had the Game of Thrones premiere last night and I wore the most beautiful Issa emerald green dress. It was so comfortable and I loved the feel and weight of it. It was a fantastic evening!”
And Daniella pinged me to tell me “She looks very elegant and the colour really suits her. Beautiful!” So there you have it. A Dressipi red-carpet moment. (And click here if you want to see Rose’s red-carpet moment in action) Natalie x
We are constantly working on updating our site and today you’ll find our new and improved, singing and dancing STYLE GUIDE. We’ve included our tips and also made it easier to find product that is perfectly suited to your style and shape. If you click on the ADVICE button at the top of the site you will see this:
Scroll down the page and you will find a selection of your all time perfect Must-Have styles and shapes for each garment such as dresses, jackets, etc.
If you would like to see what other styles suit you and some more examples of garments on Dressipi perfectly suited to your shape and style, simply click on the garment name e.g. DRESSES and you will see this: …we hope you love it! Dressipi x
STYLE ADVICE: I am a size 16 to 18, I love colour and would love suggestions for an every day outfit
Posted March 18, 2013on:
QUESTION: I’m size 16 to18 5ft 1″ and 69. Dumpy I suppose. I’ve got fat everything, but I love colour and am a happy bunny. Can you suggest an outfit for everyday, with a long skirt and/ or trousers that might suit and take me away from frumpy towards on trend? I don’t have a lot of money to spare, M&S sort of prices are within my range, but I might be tempted to splurge. I live away from shops, so on line shopping suits me best.
ANSWER: Great style needs a great personality so we’d love to recommend a few items to make the most of yours! If you take a look at you fashion fingerprint you’ll see what items suit you and why. For you it’s all about creating some fab curves and lengthening the look of your legs. With that in mind here are some items we hope you’ll love.
1.Marks and Spencer, skirt, £19.50:- This skirt nips in the waist and skims in all the right places, whilst the black is the perfect base for a plethora of tops, jackets and accessories to make it your own.
2. H&M, cardigan, £12.99:– This gorgeous pink is just the thing for lifting your back skirt, and to really colour block it can also be worn with the blue trousers recommended .
3. Trousers by M&co, £24.00:– Bright bottoms are everywhere these days so wear these blue straight leg trousers wirh confidence, team with the pink cardigan recommended for a day out with family or the black version for lunch with friends.
4. Dress by H&M, £14.99:– A simple dress is just what’s needed for a versatile wardrobe, just like the back skirt it can be worn in many ways. Wear with tights, boots and a trench coat for the cooler days and with the pink cardigan recommended for spring.
5. Top by H&M, £19.99:– A coral top like this is a great wardrobe builder as it can be worn with jeans, your black skirt or trousers.
6. Scarf by H&M, £7.99 :– Whenever you want to add something extra to an outfit throw on a scarf, whether you need a fun print or a pop of colour a great scarf will do the trick. SarahA x