Archive for March 2014
STYLE ADVICE: Everything I wear looks awful! As a mum of two I want to look stylish but feel comfortable
Posted March 31, 2014on:
QUESTION: Well – everything I wear looks awful! I have flabby arms, big boobs, hips and legs. I am constantly in jeans and jumpers. I have tried wearing fitted jackets and high waisted jeans and although I can see the difference it makes, I feel like I am playing dress up! I love the dresses that are out at the moment but have a 3 and 4 year old, so they are not always practical!
ANSWER: The jeans and jumper combo is a super easy go-to outfit for every day wear – and there is nothing wrong with that! There are, however, many ways to jazz up this outfit which will keep you looking stylish yet comfortable. If you take a look at your Dressipi Fashion Fingerprint, you’ll see which styles suit you best and why. For you it’s all about making the most of your enviable hourglass figure by accentuating your waist and skimming over the areas we all like to hide!
1. Warehouse Dress, £48: – You mentioned you may be looking for a dress, so let’s start there! Things to look for are fitted waists that then flare at the hip as this will create a gorgeous feminine silhouette, showing off your slimmest area (your waist!). Wear the neck open as this flatters the bust, making this shirt dress your wardrobe must! On colder days, wear with black tights and flat black ankle boots. When Spring finally gets to us, roll the sleeves up and go bare legged with a pair of ballet pumps:
2. Hobbs dress, £110: – Although not a colour you may have gone for, step out of your comfort zone once in a while as there are some really lovely items on the high-street at the moment! The belted waist on this Hobbs dress will clinch you in, making the most of your gorgeous figure, ideal for an evening out or a simple yet sophisticated summer look. A pair of gold drop earrings or a pendant necklace will add a touch of elegant glamour:
3. Pepe Jeans, £70: – When choosing a pair of jeans, look for darker shades as not only are these the most flattering, they are easy to dress up from day-to-night with the simple addition of a pair of heels are a statement piece of jewellery:
4. Ellos cardigan, £68: – Rather than wearing fitted jackets that you feel uncomfortable in, how about a belted cardigan? We adore this purple cashmere version as it will add a pop of colour to your wardrobe whilst feeling incredibly cosy against your skin! Ideal for when the weather is nice enough not to need a jacket, but chilly enough to need some extra warmth:
5. Jaeger bag, £299: – A gorgeous tote bag can instantly add the chic-factor to any outfit, not matter what you’re wearing! It’s worth investing in leather as it will last you for years and will become the bag you use every day. It’s also perfect for carrying everything you need for your children!
6. Moda In Pelle, £112: – Boots are the best way to incorporate a heel into your wardrobe without the pain! Ankle boots look great all year round, wear with tucked-in skinny jeans or flared skirts in the summer, they’ll be the most comfortable shoes you own! Karen x
You don’t have to go to the gym to shop up a leisurewear storm. Not since the days when it became cool to run around in leg-warmers and barely there metallic lycra has gym gear become the new fashion norm. From boxing-style high tops, to cuffed joggers in silks and prints to the now not so humble sweatshirt, designers have naturally turned their stylish hands to sportswear as catwalk must-haves. And the high street has been hot on their heels. Naturally. Which way will you wear your embellished sweatshirt…haute/high? Natalie x
Zara sweatshirt £29.99
1. Idlf for Uniqlo dress £39.99
2. Warehouse hat £16
3. Chloe bag £930
4. Mango necklace £19.99
5. ASOS wedge £35
6. New Look clutch £19.99
7. Reiss belt £79
8. Valentino bracelet £190
9. Rupert Sanderson heels £585
QUESTION: I’m looking for a wedding outfit. Late may, all day guest. Budget £200 please.
ANSWER: The wedding season is about to kick off and the best bit is being able to buy an amazing outfit for yourself and not feel guilty especially if you look for pieces that you can rework into your wardrobe for other events.
1. Warehouse dress, £70: – Although a lower neckline would be great for you as it would break up the look of your shoulders, a neckline with a contrast fabric or pattern can create an illusion and draw the eye downwards, which is what you are after, and being very slender, you can easily get away with this. We love this crochet detail dress from Warehouse which comes in an amazing bright blue colour which is not only one of your investment shades, but it’s super on trend too. The fitted waist with added detail is a great way to accentuate your waistline and pencil in some amazing curves:
This dress also comes in a softer coral shade if you prefer, which is again a colour that will look great on you:
2. Monsoon fascinator, £22: – Hats are still a wedding favourite, however lots of people are opting for the more modern and modest fascinator. A neutral shade would look fab with your other pieces and will be versatile for future weddings. If you love accessories, than a glam pair of earrings or a jewelled cuff would be a great addition to your outfit too:
3. Zara courts, £59.99: – There’s never really a time when metallics aren’t ‘in’, but this spring/summer is definitely having a metallic moment. Gold would look great with the colours of both these dresses, so incorporating some fab acessories in this tone would look fab. We adore this stunning pair of pointed courts with double ankle strap, which are super affordable and will go with everything. Choosing a closed toe court shoe is great for a spring wedding:
4. Monsoon clutch, £35: – An embellished/metallic clutch would of course look great and really finish off your look. However another option is to go with a complementing print clutch bag for a slightly more fun look. Bright, wild prints are all over right now as they are another key trend for the coming season. The embellished clutch we have selcted for you here combines a little of the two trends and is absolutely gorgeous; it would pull your look together beautifully:
5. H&M tuxedo blazer £24.99: If the weather is playing up style your outfit with a chic tuxedo blazer in a crisp cool white. A perfect piece to pair with jeans, a t-shirt and flats for a casual weekend look:
We hope we have given you some fashion inspiration, do let us know how you get on as it’s great receiving feedback. Enjoy the wedding! Ria x
QUESTION: I love to wear fancy clothes – fitted skirts, pretty blouses, blazers etc (basically Kim Kardashian style). But I hardly ever get the right opportunity to wear the clothes I love. My question is:- what clothes would you recommend for my body build (curvy, 5ft 7, big bottom) that I can wear out for more casual occasions like relaxing with friends, shopping or just a day out?
ANSWER: It’s always fun buying clothes for smart occasions, however if most of your time is spent in more casual wear, it’s definitely worth investing in a selection of pieces that fit your day-to-day lifestyle. Keep your fancy clothes to classic styles rather than heavily trend driven ones, as that way although you’ll only wear these items occasionally, they will stay in style for longer than one season.
1. Warehouse dress, £38: – A variety of casual jersey dresses are an absolute wardrobe must. Wear with black tights and ankle boots in the winter, and bare-legged with ballet pumps or sandals in the summer. Instantly transform your outfit to a chic evening look with the addition of a pair of heeled courts:
2. Oasis dress, £55: – Fit-and-flare is the go-to style for you on this one. The fitted waist will draw the eye to your slimmest part, whilst the flared skirt sneakily skims over your hips and bottom, giving the illusion of a petite frame. The high-street is filled with dresses like this, so try a few on before picking your faves. We especially love this block stripe number – very Kim K!:
3. ASOS skirt, £14: – Skirts are a fun and simple alternative to a pair of jeans and are super flattering. Aim for mid-thigh length as you’ll be able to go tight-less in the summer without revealing too much! Go for skirts that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. This skirt, for example, can be teamed with a plain white t-shirt and sneakers for a casual day out with friends, or instantly jazzed-up with a scoop back vest top and a statement necklace, spot on for a cool night out. Just don’t forget your killer heels!
4. Oasis top, £32: – Monochrome is huge for SS14, so we’d recommend this playful blouse by Oasis as it can be tucked into the ASOS skirt, or worn with your favourite pair of jeans. Accessorise with a metallic clutch or a jewelled bangle and add a structured black blazer for some sophisticated tailoring:
5. Mango bag, £29.99: – A tote bag is the perfect accompaniment to any girls outfit, the bigger the better! This Mango very has a very high-end feel about it, and will look great through all seasons:
6. New Look pumps, £7.99: – Lastly shoes! Ballet flats are a an essential to every casual outfit. It’s worth your while having a few pairs in different colours as they’ll become your go-to slip on shoe with skinny jeans, jumper dresses, summer denim shorts, flared skirts… etc! They are also ideal for slipping into your oversized tote bag when you swap to heels, turning your look from day to night. Karen x