Archive for September 2014
It was all systems go in Paris during the catwalk shows last week. Karlie Kloss gave a masterclass in how to work her supermodel style in this fabulous leopard print Balmain dress. Because the dress is doing all the talking her she has kept her accessories very simple and paired back with a tiny hint of bling in the shape of her diamante stud earrings. Channel her look in this Michael Michael Kors dress which will work the winter party season perfectly when styled with a faux-fur jacket to heat things up. For next summer simply add strappy wedges …and go. To create that criss-cross waist-defining effect style with a black belt. Natalie x
QUESTION: I am looking for a long dress for a lunch party.
ANSWER: Maxi dresses are always fun to wear and your lunch party sounds like the perfect opportunity to treat yourself to one! For you it’s about wearing styles that have a fitted waist as this creates a beautiful feminine silhouette. With this in mind we’ve picked a selection of styles we think you’ll love:
1. Michael Kors dress, £190: – There aren’t always many occasions to wear a long dress, so we’d suggest going for a really versatile pattern/shape which can be worn for multiple events. This Michael Kors maxi has a kaftan feel about it, making it ideal to dress up for a party with strappy sandals and a clutch bag, or wear on holiday with flats and an oversized sun hat:
2. Mango dress, £89.99: – The long sleeves of this printed dress make it the ideal outfit for when the weather starts to turn. A low v-neck shows just the right amount of décolletage whilst the accentuated waist will really make the most of your beautiful frame:
3. Linea dress, £40: – We fell in love with the bright shade of this dress, it will really compliment your colouring, plus the embellished neckline adds a touch of glamour making this a really sophisticated and elegant option. Style with a faux-fur shrug to keep warm and chic:
4. Biba dress, £149: – Jewelled tones were all over the A/W catwalk for the coming season so this dress definitely fits the bill! You haven’t mentioned the dress code of the party you’re attending, so keep it simple with a pair of courts and a cropped jacket (like a leather biker style) or jazz things up with peep toe sandals and a statement necklace:
5. Phase Eight pashmina, £35: – A nautral shade wrap is a wardrobe must – wear it draped over your shoulders with the sleeveless dresses, and then team it with a white blouse and your favourite pair of jeans for the ultimate Parisian-chic outfit. Karen x
We love – as you know – a wardrobe that is full of pieces that are versatile, hard-working and get on really well with each other. From something like a hot-hued top or printed scarf that gives outfits an instant trend update to pieces that help re-work good old favourites, it’s all about making your fashion go that extra mile further. Which is why we were only too happy to show a Dressipi user who contacted us via our free Style Advice service how she could wear this Nicole Farhi jacket she inherited from her mother. The aim was to know how to style it so it did not make her look frumpy. No problem. The earthy tone and tweed texture makes this the perfect autumn/winter number. Balance out the volume with slim fit separates like skinny or straight cut jeans or a slinky pencil skirt. Add some of those gorgeous wintry berry tones and a snappy stiletto heel ankle boot to vamp up the feel of the jacket for a chic creative work or hip dinner look.See, it’s easy once you know how. Don’t forget to send us more ‘I- don’t-know-how-to-wear-these’ pieces to restyle into outfits for you. Natalie x
You can never go wrong with an LBD. Really you can’t. This piece by Michael Michael Kors is ultra-flattering and if you’ve had a little too much for lunch or dinner the tie-detail just above the waist combined with the soft a-line skirt means no-one, except you, will notice. Whew. This is a great investment piece and reminds me of a similar dress I have by Issa. It’s ideal for work and perfect for a dinner date. If, in addition to all this, you want a lazy weekend look, style with flat knee-high boots or an ankle boot and a faux-fur gilet and cosy scarf. Do you have anything in your wardrobe you want us to style up or down? Let us know on our free style advice service. Natalie x
Posted September 22, 2014on:
QUESTION: Looking for an autumn capsule wardrobe that would fit with my part time work and being a mum. At 53, in a style rut. Want to feel less frumpy and more like Ines de la Fressange. Nothing designer or top end.
ANSWER: Clothes should be something you look forward to wearing, so we’ve gathered a great selection that will help get you out of your ‘style rut’. Capsule wardrobe clothes work best when they can be mixed and matched, that way you get maximum use out of every purchase.
1. Hobbs trousers, £120: – A pair of tailored black trousers are an absolute must. Wear with a knitted sweater and ballet pumps for a cool weekend outfit, for work just pop on a silk blouse and a boucle jacket, and for evening chic, simply swap the flats for courts and add a statement necklace. Cost per wear will be practically zero!
2. Mango jacket £39.99:– A tailored jacket will smarten up any look from jeans at the weekend to a chic LBD for a cocktail event:-
3. Cos dress £79: – An elegant alternative to tailored trousers is the classic LBD…so very French! This fitted waist will accentuate your slimmest part, whilst the kick skirt will skim past your hips creating a beautiful silhouette. The little black dress can be worn for work with either flats or heels along with the jacket above or a waterfall cardigan. For an instant day-to-night transformation, add a pair of drop earring and grab a jewelled clutch bag:
4. Uniqlo trousers, £29: – Ines de la Fressange is a fabulous style icon and has collaborated with Uniqlo to create some really great pieces. The collection is available at the moment, and we’d especially recommend a pair of the camel coloured chinos as they combine the parisian classic style of Ines with the casual cool look of Ashwell. Complete the look with a breton stripe top and a pair of converse:
5. GAP t-shirt £27.95: – A breton stripe top tucked into an a-line skirt is a relaxed work-wear outfit and can also be worn casually over a pair of chinos or slim leg jeans on the weekend:
6. Converse trainers, £50: – Although Converse are available in every colour under the sun, start with a white pair as they are most versatile. Ideal for running around on the weekends, these sneakers also make for a really great travel shoe as they look fab all year round in any weather climate:
7. Zara jeans, £35.99: – When it comes to denim, the most flattering shade for you is dark and the best fit is slim straight leg. Wear with the breton top, or for ultimate Parisian style, or pair with jewel tone blouse to add a pop of colour to your wardrobe:
8. Anthropologie scarf, £58: – A scarf is a superb place to begin as it can completely transform an outfit whilst doubling up as a cardigan alternative. We chose a pattern which will look lovely with the chinos, stripe top and Converse. This scarf can also be teamed with the black trousers and blue shirt:
9. Zara boot, £89.99: – If you tend to wear skirts and dresses for casual occasions, black is best as a pair of black tights will complete the outfit. We love these Zara boots as they have a rock-and-roll slash sophisticated feel about them:
10. Zara biker, £59.99: – Add an edge to your wardrobe with a biker jacket! There are so many on the high-street that you really don’t need to go splash out on this one. Zara always come up on top when it comes to fierce elegance and this quilted biker looks far more expensive that it’s £60 price tag:
11. French Connection Coat £185:- For when the winter really kicks in, nothing beats a warm coat. You also mentioned you liked French Connection, so we think this appropriately names ‘Moscow Tweed Coat’ could be just the ticket. The best thing about it is that is fits in very nicely with the capsule wardrobe we’ve suggested:
12. J.Crew Earrings, £27: – Lastly we wanted to add a small pop of colour to the collection with a pair of earrings from J.Crew. One jewelled item is all your need to jazz-up a LBD or trousers and a blouse so keep it really simple and chic, the true Parisian way! We really hope this has given some fashion inspiration. Karen x
I’ve been noticing more and more capes and ponchos poping up on the high street all over London, restored from the early 2000’s when Victoria Beckham dressed her baby bumps in them. They also made a fab appearance on the Burberry runway with Cara Delevingne walking down in a poncho with her initials on it.But it’s street style as usual that caught my attention when I saw a fashionista wearing hers with a clashing print summer dress.
I snapped up mine in H&M for £29.99 and haven’t looked back since. The perfect season transition outerwear for any stylista working in a creative environment. SarahA x
1. Zara dress £25.99 and Zara leather boots £239 – Work your cape by paying homage to the sixties, mini skirts and monochrome clashing Peter Pan collars are all great with over the knee boots and a cape thrown on.