Archive for June 2015
Posted June 30, 2015on:
QUESTION: We are going to Elton John concert in Luca, Toscana in the beginning of July. What should I wear? I am afraid,it can be quiet cold in the evening.
ANSWER: The concert you are going to sounds so fantastic, I’ve heard that Toscana is a really beautiful part of Italy. As the weather is currently around 20 degrees in Lucca, we would definitely advise layering – that way you can start the evening in something summery and add something to cover your arms as the night time draws in.
1. Jaeger Dress, £99: – A summer dress is a great place to start. Opt for something that you can wear during the day, that just requires a cool accessory to turn it into an evening outfit. Wear the neck open and pop on a statement necklace to add a touch of glamour!
2. Asos Dress, £80: – Alternatively a printed maxi dress will be a fantastic option for an evening concert. The loose skirt will keep your legs warm, whilst the floaty fabric is ideal for an Italian evening. This dress can easily be worn for day time sight seeing, add a pair of flat sandals and a tote bag to complete the look:
3. G Star Raw Jacket, £140: – For when evening kicks in, team either dress with a denim jacket to keep your arms warm. Roll the sleeves up to achieve a cool, laid back vibe and pop a cardigan in your back to layer up your outfit in case the weather is colder than expected:
4. Hugo Boss Cardigan, £149: – To ensure you are warm when you leave the concert, grab a fine knit cardi for the journey home. We love this white cosy option by Hugo Boss as it compliments the outfits suggested and can also be worn on your favourite pair of jeans with a simple t-shirt underneath:
5. Monsoon Bag, £89: – Finally, to finish off your look, a lightweight bag to carry your jacket and all important camera is a necessity! Tan goes well with everything and can be worn all-year round for casual weekend chic or with a work-wear tailored outfit. We hope this has given some fashion inspiration, enjoy the concert and let us know how you get on! Karen x
Posted June 23, 2015on:
STYLE ADVICE: I would love some suggestions for stylish maternity clothes especially for work and weekend looks
Posted June 22, 2015on:
QUESTION: I hope you are well, it’s a while since i was in touch but since then i have become pregnant 🙂
I am feeling a lot bigger on baby number 2 and only 15 weeks. I am 5ft tall and of slim/petite build and I am struggling to find things to wear. Obviously i don’t want to spend a fortune but at the same time I want to look good for the next 6 months.
Is there anything you can suggest? I particularly need something for work, comfy high shoes and a few weekend looks.
ANSWER: First of all a big, shiny congrats on baby number 2! How exciting adding to your brood! Your question has been specially selected for me to get back to you as I too am pregnant at around 20 weeks so at a pretty similar stage! I’m expecting an unexpected baby number 3!
Sounds like your bump is already showing? It’s strange how it seems to be more obvious earlier second time round but at least this time you know what to expect and can remember some tricks of getting through the next few months without having to spend a fortune. The key is investing in a few good, fabulous looking and above all comfortable basics and then accessorising like crazy to style up looks. Here’s a hit list of items that I think would be perfect for you right now and until “hatching”day!
1. ASOS dress £40: A simple fluid A line dress beats all those strange styles that try to give you a high waist during pregnancy. Although you are lucky enough to be of petite proportions shape wise I think that a subtle flare with fitted sleeves is a more flattering style. The waisted ones, especially with belts always make me feel like an Easter egg! This sapphire blue dress from asos is a perfect maternity buy as it can be dressed up or down making it great for work, weekends and even an evening out with the right accessories. I like the keyhole back detail that adds a trend element to this simple silhouette.
2. Topshop jeans £45: The ‘Holy Grail’ of maternity dressing begins and ends with the perfect pair of jeans and I have to say, having tried nearly all of them, that Topshop pretty much ticks all the boxes. For you, they come in petite lengths and a range of washes and colours. This pale, bleach style is a great colour on you and looks best worn during the summer months. They do have other versions without the rip detail but with this being so ‘on trend’ for spring it’s great to be able to buy something that feels current and unfrumpy!
3. Topshop dress £40: As you might have noticed denim is everywhere this season and so this simple denim shirt dress again at Topshop is a great wardrobe addition. Style it at the weekend with leggings, sneakers and a bright scarf or on holiday over a swimsuit with bright, pop-py sandals!
4. Zara dress now £25.99: Another plus to being petite is that you can make the most of the amazing, simple summer dresses that can look too mini on anyone with a taller silhouette. Zara have some heavenly summer tunics that aren’t specifically maternity but would flow over your bump and look amazing with some of the season’s fabulous gladiator style sandals and exude effortless cool! Here are a few that would be perfect for you with a hint of that A-line shape and a perfect length:
5. Zara dress £25.99: Another great dress for work and play in an eye-catching shade. The pleated back makes this perfect for your maternity silhouette:
6. Zara dress now £9.99: A cute graphic stripe that would look great worn with bright accessories and perfect for weekends or holidays:
7. Isabelle Oliver t-shirt £39: Another often overlooked wardrobe essential has to be the perfect t-shirt. The best ones are long enough to cover your hips, have just the right amount of cling to show off your shape without being too tight and can be worn for work and at the weekend. Isabelle Oliver is admittedly on the pricier side of maternity brands but investing in two good colours and styles of basic jersey tees will provide the comfort and ease that you need when getting dressed:
8. Mango scarf now £14.99: Finally, as mentioned earlier my favourite part of maternity dressing has to be the accessories. Shoes, scarves and statement necklaces are a guilt-free investment that will add a welcome pick me up to maternity additions and then on to the tricky post natal part where anything that adds a hint of glamour will be welcome. I especially love scarves for disguising bumps, adding a splash of colour to basics and then onwards for discreetly, yet stylishly breastfeeding if that is what you are hoping to do. Mango has some gorgeous prints this season. One like this is lightweight and perfect for the summer:
9. H&M leather sandals £39.99: Shoe wise I would take advantage of this summer’s obsession with the seventies and go for a high sandal with block heels or platforms. Both work wonders for you as the extra height compliments your petite proportions and offer the most comfortable high heel options. Here are two that we love this season. A nude block heel simple sandal will go with everything from work to weekend and denim. The nude tone magically elongates your legs:
10. Dune sandals £51: This cork platform sandal ticks all the boxes for on trend 70s inspiration. Style with maxi dresses, denim and weekend looks for a combination of height, comfort and chic. We hope this helps and gives you some inspiration over the coming months. Best of luck with your your 3.5 year old and of course with the new baby. Thanks for your enquiry and we look forward to helping you out again. Tara x
I love the blurred fashion lines between day and night. It means you really get the most and best use out of your wardrobe shopping. This easy-to-style soft grey Topshop jersey dress may has a wonderful waist flattering rushed detail. It’s the type of piece that would look great with a block heel in a creative work environment, a slinky sandal or stiletto court for evening and a pair of Converse or flats by day. H&M has got a great range of leather sandals like these burgundy flats. They still keep you city-chic but with a laid-back casual feel. We spoke of layering your fashion through the weather last blog and here’s another great wardrobe staple – the waterfall cardigan. I love with a capital “L” this straw clutch from H&M (for less than a tenner)…especially the chunky gold chain trim detail. It is a great run-around day bag as well as being perfect for a bit of evening glamour. It also comes in a hot bright yellow and soft pale blue. Natalie x
Everything’s a little temperamental at the moment and by that I mean the”weather”. So when things are temperamental the best thing to do is give yourself choices. Because things can blow hot and cold. This is where layering up is always a great style option. In the grand scheme of things layering up when it comes to dressing really just means investing in a great go-with- everything cardigan. Something you can slip under a jacket and over a dress. It will carry you through the day with all that on-off hot-cold situation that is going on at the moment. It will dress down a dress that you would otherwise have thought is something just for a smarter occasion. Nothing is ever really just for smarter occasions (unless it’s a ballgown or an ultra-bling number) because you can always knits to tone things down. Shoe wise, you’ll need something closed and if you want a welcome break and modern update from the run-around-ballerina then these ghillies (that’s what they are called) are the shoe of the season all thanks to the likes of Isabel Marant. They are a little high maintenance thanks to the ankle straps but the high street has some fabulous numbers so you can give them a whirl. Use your clutch bag by day especially if it something a little less structured and has a shoulder strap. And there you have it – you’ll be prepared for all temperamental hot-and-cold eventualities in the course of 24hrs. Natalie x
1. New Look earrings £2.99, 2. Mango cardigan £14.99, 3. Topshop shoes £28, 4. Banana Republic scarf £14.99, 5. Dorothy Perkins dress £24, 6. M&S biker jacket now £55, 7. M&S denim jacket £75, 8. Kurt Geiger sandals £220, 9. New Look bag £9.99.
QUESTION: I need to find a cocktail dress for two summer weddings. I had a baby 6 weeks ago though and while I’m broadly back to my size ten, my tummy and boobs are a little larger than normal so I need to take this into consideration with the dress! Happy to spend up to £150.
ANSWER: Congratulations on the birth of your child, such wonderful news and thanks for the picture – and how very exciting that you have two weddings to attend this summer. We’ve chosen a few options we think you’ll love:
1. Reiss dress, now £145: – We’re starting off with full-on cocktail glamour! This Reiss dress is a fabulous all-year-roud option, team with open toe sandals in the summer, or black tights and closed toe courts for the colder months. The fit-and-flar style will draw the eye to your smallest area, whilst the flared skirt gives you a beautifully flattering silhouette:
2. French Connection dress, £45: – Now for a really classic wardrobe staple – the wrap dress. This style is absolutely perfect for you as once again, the waist is emphasised and the soft pleating over your tummy hides anything you may not want to show! Navy is a versatile and easy colour to wear, just pop on a pair of metallic courts and a pashmina in a contrasting shade. Job done!:
3. Adrianna Papell, £130: If you fancy going for something truly showstopping, try a bright tone like this gorgeous hot red. As red it one of your fave shades to wear, we couldn’t help but put it in the mix! The ‘v’ neck shows just the right amount of décolletage whilst also elongating your upper body and the frill front adds a lovely feminine touch…it’s also very similar in fit and style to the dress you are wearing in the picture you sent us:
4. Anthropologie dress, £158: – Lastly we’ve gone for something really summery and stylish. Antrhopologie always create the most wonderful prints and this floral frock is no exception. Wear with either nude, navy or metallic sandals and match this tone to your clutch bag. One piece of jewellery will finish the outfit off perfectly, we’d recommend a pair of drop earrings or a statement bracelet:
We hope this has given some fashion inspiration, have a superb time at both weddings and let as know how you get on as we love to receive feedback. Karen x
Posted June 8, 2015on:
QUESTION: I am going to Ascot and have bought the attached dress and hat (my hat is actually crème not black) for the occasion. Please could you recommend a jacket, accessories, bag and shoes to go with this? My budget is up to £50 each.
1. Mango, Jacket £39.99:- This lightweight textured jacket is a great addition to your outfit. It sits open to show off the details of your dress and complements your look, without being too fussy. You will also get a lot of wear out of this post-Ascot. Think over little sun dresses, or with tees and jeans or slinky LBD’s. 2. New Look, Jacket £34.99:- Or maybe this nude leather look jacket in a similar shade to your dress is preferred. It also sits open for all the details of your dress to be seen and adds. The tailored fit comes in at the waist to create a balanced feminine silhouette. 3. Aldo, Shoes £41.25:- An open toe sandal is the perfect feminine addition to your outfit. The heel isn’t sky high so perfect for an all day event. A versatile black sandal is the perfect wardrobe must-have: 4. Carvela, Clutch £49:– Keep accessories simple and sleek with this clutch. You don’t want anything over shadowing your dress or the fascinator so this understated clutch is just whats needed to carry the essentials. The great thing about this piece like all the others here is that you will get a lot of wear out of it all year long. Sarah A x