Archive for September 2015
There are ankle boots and then there are ankle boots! Right now from Balmain to Zara your ankle boots are coming complete with fringe benefits. Coupled with a slinkier stiletto heel and suddenly a practical style turns into a fun and frivolous fashion must. This is a step on from spring/summer’s 1970’s trend which has continued through to this season. Opt for a more rock and roll approach – rather than boho with these picks. It’s a great way to vamp up a floral print dress and will also look fabulous with one of the must-have denim dresses or plaid shirt dresses out there. Which way will you go? Haute or high? Natalie x
It’s time to think pink. Who would have thought it? One of the hottest shades of the moment is pink. Sugary icy girly sorbet shades perfectly suited to the romantic and gothic Victoriana trend and granny chic prints-and-texture mix-up going on. Bold, vivid loud shades shouting it out for the return to 80’s glitz and clashing crazy patterns. Any which pink way you like it really. You might not have thought you would be wearing candy pink trousers for winter, but hey that’s fashion for you. This style from Topshop talks to whichever pink lady you might be. If you’re more into the intellectual Skandi take on fashion – think sculptural lines, paired back mood and boy-meets-girl effect – style with shoe of the moment the brogue and a roomier square cut or loose fit jumper. It’s all about cleverly layering your volume here. I have tried on this Zara jumper and it’s fabulously cosy, sits just above the hips, and has a sculpturally roomy shape to it. Wintry greys and a modern slick of black are the perfect partners to your pinks. Using the same colour palette, if you’re more prone to a bit of shapelier razzmatazz in your wardrobe (like me), or if you’re simply looking to go from day to night, style with a fitted jumper to show off that waist-cinching detail and add a killer pair of heels. Naturally. Don’t forget the bling. Natalie x
Posted September 28, 2015on:
QUESTION: I need some light weight clothes for a city break in a hot country. Am size 18. Need short sleeves and deep but bright colours and patterns. Need trousers, black or vary that will hold me in and make me look slimmer!budget value! Ie not too expensive! Many thanks!
ANSWER: Your city break sounds delightful, especially as the British weather has been less than desirable lately! Loose fitting tops in lightweight fabrics are a fab choice for your trip as they’ll be comfortable in the warm weather and can also pack easily without creasing. With this in mind, we’ve chosen a selection on items we think you’ll love:
1. Windsmoor top, £69: – This chiffon blue and purple floral top really sums up you’re description, perfect for daytime sightseeing with the addition of a shoulder bag and flat strappy sandals. Transform this blouse into evening chic with a pair of kitten heels and a pair of drop earrings:
2. Violeta top, £24.99: – Raspberry is such a lovely colour to wear as it looks fabulous all year round and suits every skin tone. The v-neck is your go-to neckline to create a flattering shape and the ruffle detail adds a beautiful feminine touch:
3. Mango top, now £29.99: – Another gorgeous pattern blouse, this time in a light silky fabric. This can be worn on black or navy trousers and is also very versatile for day and night:
4. Violeta trousers, £44.99: – All the tops we’ve suggested will really complement a pair of black tapered trousers – wear the blouses loose rather than tucked in and pop on a long but delicate necklace to add some glamour. We love this pair by Violeta as they are cotton and sit on the ankle, which makes them a wonderful summery option. The slim let will also be a lovely contrast to the loose feel of the blouses:
5. Ghost trousers, £69: – if you’d rather go for a lightweight loose option, these wide leg trousers by Ghost as a great alternative:
6. Monsoon necklace, £29.99: – It’s always worth packing a couple of pieces of jewellery in case you go for an evening meal or just feel like jazzing up your look! long necklaces always look fabulous over tops and blouses as they elongate your neckline and draw the eye inwards. There are so many wonderful styles on the high street, we particularly like this elegant tassel version:
7. Day Birger et Mikkelsen, £60: – Lastly a light shoulder bag is a necessity for any city break. It doubles up as a carry-on bag and is ideal for all your daytime sightseeing items. This very cool tote by DAY instantly caught our eye as it’s tres chic and will finish off any outfit perfectly! Karen x
Gucci, that razzle-dazzle brand, took a decidedly different turn for autumn/winter, one that found it’s inspiration in the mismatched quirkiness of Granny Chic. Colours and prints and textures that should not really go together were expertly paired up to give us one of the big trends of the season. Think Dot. Here you can see how this all translates into your wardrobes. Faux-fur has come a long way and there are some fabulous high street pieces. The good thing about this Boden number is that the blues are muted but still make a bold statement. This means we can blend it into that quirky granny chic style with a dusky pink cable knit and clashing check print trouser in a lightweight tweed. Brogues are very in vogue this season and even I – a dedicated high heel wearer – am slowly being seduced by the super sleek and cool styles available. For a sexier but still very feminine and pretty boho style add a pussy bow detail dress with a smattering of florals in bright reds. Natalie x
70’s STYLE: 1. Boden faux-fur coat £199, 2. Tory Burch earrings £80, 3. The Kooples silk dress £225, 4. Banana Republic bag £59.50, 5. Zara boots £59.99. GRANNY CHIC: 6. Zara shoes £49.99, 7. H&M beanie £24.99, 8. Barbour jumper £109, 9. Sonia Rykiel £635
Posted September 21, 2015on:
QUESTION: I have bought this River Island dress attached (not quite that short on me – I’m only 5,5) and was wondering what I can wear with it for a baby shower dinner and a family BBQ. I’d probably wear tights with it as its getting quite cold! Looking for a jacket (it’s got flared arms) / shoes / jewellery / bag – budget is £40.
ANSWER: Really glad you’ve got a great dress to wear, and we are sure we can find some great items to go with it.
1. Mango, Coat now £69.99:- Try this trench for size, in a less restrictive fit, this lightweight coat means you can throw it on over most things and give your look a classic style update. A little over budget but we’ve saved on other items so if it works for you go for it!
2. ASOS, Shoes £38:- These catwalk inspired ankle strap shoes are great for your swing dress, and gives your look a preppy chic feel. Opt for the black pair if you decide to wear tights, or the snake print if you decide to go bare legged.
3. ASOS, Bangle £8:- This bangle is just the perfect style to accessorise your look. This piece is just enough for your occasion worthy outfit without too much bling.
4.ASOS, Earrings £6.99:- Add these hoops for a minimal but feminine accessory.
5. Warehouse, Bag £28:- A casual clutch always works for these kind of events, not too dressy and workable for carrying a few more items. Use the strap when your juggling drinks and baby presents! SarahA x