STYLE ADVICE: I would like some ideas for key casual capsule wardrobe pieces
Posted January 11, 2016on:
QUESTION: I would like advice on what to wear casually. I have just asked my husband to describe my style, and he said it’s “classic, with a twist”. Think classic styles but with mixed prints, textures and layers.
ANSWER: The new year is a perfect time to assess the wardrobe situation and buy a few new key pieces for the seasons ahead. With this in mind, we’ve picked a few options we think you’ll love:
1. French Connection top, now £15: – You mentioned you are drawn towards classic stripe, so we couldn’t help but throw a bit of breton into the mix! Always on-trend and always hitting the shops come spring every ear, the trusty french style stripe T is every woman’s must have item. A scoop neckline or v-neck if the most flattering style for you. Wear in the summer in capri cropped trousers and flat sandals, and in the colder months, layer with a cashmere cardi and an a-line skirt. Team with ballet flats, ankle boots, converse sneakers.. you name it, it works!
2. J.Brand jeans, £133: – A really great fitting pair of jeans are such an investment purchase. They can make your legs and bottom look so much slimmer, you really will find yourself wearing them every day. Although these have a bit of a price tag, it’s always better to buy one amazing garment that you adore wearing rather than two that are ill fitting. This slim and straight pair are a flattering style with a high waist that will smooth out your tummy area. Pair with the stripe t-shirt or a colourful blouse loosely tucked in:
3. Banana Republic skirt, £49.99: – The full skirt is so flattering and your go-to shape. The high waist draws attention to your slimmest area, whilst the pleated kick flare at the hip gently glides over any womanly bumps! Tuck in t-shirts or fine knit sweaters for a gorgeously cosy January outfit:
4. J.Crew shirt, £39: – If J.Crew is good enough for Michelle Obama, it sure is good enough for us! The White House’s favourite brand often teases us with some of the most fabulous wardrobe staples and this check plaid shirt is no exception. Wear on denim or tucked into the a-line skirt, this is such a easy throw-on comfortable blouse. Another stylish option is to wear in on a pair of navy tapered trousers, just adding a pair of ballet flats to complete the look:
5. Mango trousers, now £19.99: – Navy trousers look fantastic all year round, whether it’s with wooly jumpers and cardigans through the winter, or casual t-shirts with the ankles rolled up in the summer. A lovely alternative to jeans , you can also smarted them up with heeled ankle boots or a pair of kitten heels and a sparkly top:
6. Jigsaw dress, £74: – A shirt dress is a fantastic shape for you. The belted waist draws the eye in, which gives you the most beautiful silhouette. We love this print by Banana Republic as it subtle, classic and will see you through in the spring and summer: Wear with black tights and loafers or ballet shoes when the wear is cold, and swap for bare legs and sandals once the sun comes out!
7. Zara scarf, £19.99: – We know that you’re a fan of leopard print, so add a splash of pattern to your look around your neck with this gorgeous Zara scarf. It’s a fab way of introducing a playful touch to your outfit, whilst staying stylish and chic. We hope this has given some fashion inspiration for 2016, here’s to a wonderfully stylish year! Karen x