Archive for March 2016
Taking direct inspiration from my own wardrobe double up your denim for a cool weekend look. I wear my denim shirt + skinny jeans combo with a hint of animal print either with a belt I discovered I had and had not worn in a while or a printed clutch. Spice things up with a hot pink heel. I switch between a pair of silver and pink wedge sandals or a really slinky heeled pink ankle strap peep toe. It just adds an extra turbo boost to my weekend look – perfect for those lunches or children’s birthday parties (go to my instagram account and have a look if you don’t believe me!). I like to work my really plain and simple oversized clutches double time from day-to-night. If you have a moment take a stroll through Topshop’s Oxford Circus ground floor – they have so many incredible styles and colours, prints and patterns you’ll go clutch crazy. Natalie x
Dorothy Perkins is one of those high street stores that always does a good dress – like this Bardot style. You might not be swanning about the South of France but at least you can channel that Brigitte Bardot look thanks to the off-the-shoulder neckline. (The dress also comes in black). With inklings of summer holidays filtering through into stores go day-to-night with a straw tote and clutch. Who can resist a novelty cat? Black gives a strong edge to any pastel shade, perfect for an evening look, whilst a gold wedge sandal is a fabulous beach-to-bar must-have. You can easily style this dress with your denim jacket for a city break look and with a biker jacket or tuxedo blazer for an evening. Natalie x
Is it sunny yet? Even if it isn’t, investing in a dress that will go that extra 24/7 style mile makes all the difference when it comes to stress-free outfitting. This Saloni dress in a fresh spring print and summery coral is perfect for these cool months. Simply layer over a cosy knit and nude colour courts for work or add an edgy biker jacket and slinky heels for an evening look. It will also give you a fabulous sunshine holiday look or two. Style with a must-have denim jacket and simple neutral accessories. Texture adds a stylish dimension to your look. You can just as easily wear sparkly flat sandals for those beach getaways. Natalie x
Freshen up wardrobes with one of the seasons’ pastels. They give an instant spring feel to looks. This jacket from Mango will also work double time with all those gorgeous white broiderie anglaise tops and summer dresses that will hit the stores in the months to come. Style with black accessories to give an edgy look. This Oasis shirt is a hip way to do check shirts – it feels more modern and less wintry lumberjack! If you’re also prints-phobic it’s a gentle way to dabble in a pattern. Picking up on the greys in the shirt add a finishing touch with this scarf. Natalie x
QUESTION: I am having a black-tie party for my 40th birthday in April. The party is going to be on a boat on the Thames with drinks and dancing. Any suggestions for a dress which makes me look and feel fabulous would be very gratefully received! Budget up to £500.
Reply from Sarah Akinola
ANSWER: Thanks for contacting us! Your event sounds amazing! A very happy birthday to you in advance. Here are some items we hope you’ll love.
1. Maje, Dress £315:– Show off your fashion credentials with this on trend off the shoulder dress. Off the shoulder dresses work perfectly for balanced proportions such as yours, still making the most of your defined waist and showing off your décolletage. You’ll be dancing the night away with the fluid skirt on this dress.
2. J.Crew, Dress £228:- This dress definitely ticks all the boxes for a milestone birthday party like yours. It’s high halter neck will be great for a smaller bust, and you’ll definitely be making an entrance in this gorgeous shade of blue. Style this dress with chandelier earrings and a tousled up do.
3. Halston Heritage, Dress now £140.98:– This brand from 70’s New York is the go to for cocktail and party dresses for dancing the night away. This dress is a unique structured piece for making a style statement in a gorgeous icy blue tone. It will cinch in your waist and create a glam silhouette. Team with silver accessories and open toe sandals to finish off your party look.
4. Coast, bracelet £19.00 – A statement style cuff gives a sleek accessory update to your looks:
5. Sandals, Banana Republic £75:– A versatile sandal such as this chic pair will never go out of style , wear for many more occasions to come.
6. Sandals, J.Crew £198:– A slightly dearer price tag but this high shine finish is the epitome of evening glam, wear with pale blue or royal blue dress options.
7. Clutch, Dune £55:– Or go for this gold finish option depending on what other accessories you’re wearing.
I hope we’ve answered your style question, please let us know how you get on as we love receiving feedback. SarahA x
If you’re not really a dress person there are some great options to occasion outfitting. I have said it before, coats have come into their own and it really is all about the statement coat. In Paris at Fashion Week a casual pair of jeans and all those sporty trainers were elevated to fashion status and street style appeal (some looks a bit daft I have to admit) thanks to a statement coat. Coats are also a great way to wear a print. Keep everything else neutral and plain. This waist defining jersey top is ultra-flattering thanks to the gathering details but also those soft drapes. It also comes in navy. You can style this shape with a pencil skirt too. Ivory coloured trousers ooze elegance don’t they? Turn this into a casual summer look with a tan wedge heel and your favourite tee or a kaftan style print top. Add a statement necklace for maximum appeal – this one perfectly matches the colours of the coat. Finally – every wardrobe needs a go-with-everything metallic sandal. It will get you out of any occasion wear style rut. Natalie x