Archive for the ‘Ask a Stylist’ Category
A dress that’s the perfect blank canvas is a great investment piece for your wardrobe. This navy blue fit-and-flare update on the shirt dress can take you from a weekend lunch (white skate shoes or a tan wedge) to a wedding guest or evening out look. Play around with your accessories. Add bold brights for a summery feel or stick to metallics for a touch of evening glamour. Natalie x
Velvet has always been a festive season look. But this year it’s been given a real style reboot as one of the key catwalk trends, and not necessarily just reserved for party looks. There is nothing more indulgent than a plush velvet dress that sweeps all the way down to the floor. This DVF number is a real show stopper. You might also like something like this from the Reformation £315 or this dark purple dress from Wallis £35. Velvet lends itself to all things sparkly like these glitter accessories. You can also go for 100% opulence and style with jewelled bags or shoes and glitzy jewelled chandelier earrings. Natalie x
Isn’t it wonderful that coats this season can double up as duvets. Technically speaking it will feel as if you have never let the comfort of your own home. The chunkier, the cosier, the better. That goes for your knitwear too. Balance it all out with a slinky pair of skinny jeans and a burst of metallics. Throw in a pumpkin orange accessory in the spirit of Halloween. Natalie x
Posted September 15, 2014on:
QUESTION: I have puchased this dress as per your style advice for a wedding in Cardiff this Friday, I was wondering if you could recommend a jacket, jewellery (earrings and / or bracelet – both if you think this won’t over accessorise or just earrimgs if you think that will!), bag and shoes to go with this dress please? My budget is £40 and under.
ANSWER: The dress you’ve gone with is a gorgeous choice – navy is a classic all year round colour and the beading adds an elegant touch of glamour. We’ve chosen a selection of items that will compliment the dress wonderfully:
1. New Look bolero, £17.99: – A blazer or heavy tailored jacket will make this outfit quite wintery, so keep it fresh and light with a cape style bolero:
2. New Look sandals, £9: – Keeping within your budget, we’ve found a pair of gold metallic sandals which will bring out the gold detailing in the dress. Open toe is best with full length dresses, so don’t forget to paint your toe nails!
5. H&M bag, £14.99: – Trying to match the perfect navy for your clutch will be a tricky task and your outfit may end up looking a bit ‘matchy’. We’ve therefore selected a bright clutch which can also be worn tucked under the shoulder. The pop of colour will go really well with navy and we guarantee it will get you complements!
6. ASOS earrings, £2: – Keep your jewellery super simple with a delicate pair of drop earrings. No need to splash the bank with these as there are some really great bargains to be had:
7. River Island bracelet, £5: – One piece of jewellery will add just the right amount of sparkle as you already have embellishment on the dress. If you’d rather go for something more ‘statement’, why not emphasise the Grecian look of the dress with a leaf gold bracelet. Karen x
QUESTION: Please can you help me decide what to wear with this Jaeger dress? It is for my son’s wedding at the end of October. I need a jacket for the service as the church is in the middle of the country. I cannot find anything suitable to go with it. The bridesmaids have ‘ cadbury purple ‘ dresses with black shrugs and the bride’s mother is in either silver or peach.
ANSWER: Congratulations on your son’s upcoming nuptials; what an exciting time. The dress you have chosen is beautifully simple and classic with elegant lines just as you describe your style overall. During this transition period from spring/summer to autumn/winter it can be a little more difficult to find just what it is that you are after with all the stock changeover, but here are some ideas that we hope you will love.
1. Ted Baker jacket, £269: – Neutrals always work with everything, so a tailored jacket in a natural shade maybe a good place to start.This Ted Baker piece is super glam; elegant and understated, yet still special enough thanks to the stunning embellishment on the collar:
2. Monsoon jacket, £69: – As you said, a tailored jacket will shape your figure to perfection, defining the waist. This elegant, neutral jacket is perfect for formal occasions and even incorporates a subtle hint of sparkle for that extra luxe feel:
3. Jacques Vert jacket, £149: – Keep your lines clean and let your accessories do the talking with this simple cropped jacket in a neutral shade:
4. Hobbs jacket, £199: – If you choose to stick with the blue colour palette, then this piece from Hobbs is the definition of chic:
6. LK Bennett jacket, now £175: – A metallic shade is always a sure fire hit, and will always go with everything. This jacket from LK Bennett has a contemporary feel to it and is a fantastic bargain as it’s on sale from £475 down to £175!
7. Monsoon clutch bag, £35: – Depending on which jacket shade you choose, you could think about picking up on it with one of your accessories in a matching or similar shade. This could be anything from a gorgeous headpiece to your shoes or even a clutch; but make sure not to over-do one specific shade too much, as anything too “matchy-matchy” can sometimes look less attractive. We love this metallic glitter clutch from Monsoon which would look great with most of the jackets we have suggested. We hope we have given you some fashion inspiration, do let us know how you get on as it’s great receiving feedback. Good luck, and have a wonderful time at your son’s wedding! Ria x
STYLE ADVICE: I am looking for a stylish over-the-knee dress for Henley and Ascot. Nothing too frumpy!
Posted June 9, 2014on:
QUESTION: I need to find a dress to wear to henley regatta. It needs to be over the knee but I’m struggling to find something thats not too frumpy. I dont suit wrap dresses but it needs to be a little tummy skimming as that’s my cover up area. Budget up to £150 but ideally around £100. If I could also use the same dress for royal ascot (straps wider than 1″) that would work really well.
ANSWER: We love that all the fun summer events are beginning to come around, and we’re rather jealous that you’re attending two of the chicest. An outfit for the Regatta or the Royal Ascot will double up as the perfect wedding guest outfit too, so if you also have a wedding coming up this summer you can switch up the accessories and use the same amazing dress whilst creating two different looks. With that in mind, here are some ideas we hope you will love:
1. ASOS dress, £55: – What’s great about you needing a dress that hits below the knee is that you’ve got amazing long legs so you can really pull this look off. We absolutely love this midi dress from ASOS which comes in a super chic check print; it is fitted at the waist, but it should catch you at your smallest point and then skim over your tummy with some figure-flattering, subtle pleating, and the sleeveless style is wide enough that you could wear it for the Royal Ascot too. You could even add a skinny belt to the waistline to emphasise the area and create some curves. The dress would look great with white or pastel accessories, however adding a fab pop of colour via your clutch and shoes would really set the outfit off whilst adding a contemporary feel:
2. ASOS dress, £45: – ASOS is so good for midi dresses at the moment, so here is another from them that we think would look great on you. This piece has some soft draping around the waistline that should skim over your problem area beautifully, and again it isn’t strappy, so it would work for Ascot perfectly- we love the subtle peephole back too. This look is softer and more ethereal than the previous, however both pieces are stunning and it’s personal preference as to which look you want to channel. Team with whites/neutrals or metallics:
3. Topshop skirt, £48: – Often people just assume that they have to wear a dress to events and special occasions, and don’t really think about what other options they have. We think that a skirt and top combo can be just as chic as a dress, and this skirt from Topshop comes in a stunning pastel mint print with some on-trend powerful pleats. You can even wear it with flat sandals throughout the summer months for a casual but sophisticated look. Team with gold metallic accessories for a gorgeous combination:
4. New Look blouse, £14.99: – Team the skirt with a simple but luxurious plain top. This crepe version from New Look is a complete bargain but will look so beautiful when completing your outfit. The gorgeous floaty sleeves will also cover your upper arms, which is something you said you would prefer on your profile. Wear it tucked into the skirt for the ultimate in chic event dressing, and add a statement necklace. Ria X